Tuesday, June 5, 2007

First Course in American Studies

My big project for this summer is a major overhaul of our introductory course, AMST 201. After years of being offered in small, single-section format, we are moving to a large (for us, anyway) lecture of 100 students with 25-student discussion sections. My vision for the weekly "lecture" session is a multimedia talk show (think Dick Cavett, not Jerry Springer) with invited guests, media clips and performances organized around a theme.

To help me document this effort, I've invited Chirag Patel, a former student, to serve as my project manager and "Boswell", helping me articulate the rationale behind course decisions and record them for future use. We will be interacting through a new blog, First Course in American Studies, which is linked to this one. Please feel free to join the discussion; faculty, students (grad and undergrad), alumni and interested observers are all welcome.

No comments: