Saturday, June 19, 2010

WHQ

Dear Colleagues;

HI. I am a Ph.D. Student at UC San Diego and I wanted to share a good
professional opportunity for all grad students.

I am serving on the Western History Association's (WHA) program committee
for their conference in Oakland in Oct. of 2011. In this position I am
soliciting grad student papers, panels, and workshops. I am also working
with the editor of the Western Historical Quarterly (WHQ) to take the
strongest of these presentations and turning them into a special issue.
The editor and I will work with authors to try and get their papers
through peer review, which publication depends upon.

The WHA + the WHQ are especially interested in public history,
transnational, comparative, and interdisciplinary historical-type work on
the U.S. West (broadly conceived). My own agenda is a desire to bring the
"politics" back into Western and Borderlands history. A number of students
have already contacted me, and I have a number of emerging panels.

If interested, please email me with a brief summary of your proposed paper
presentation or ideas. Beginning in July, I will help organize student
panels and put individuals with similar research interests in contact with
each other to form their own panels/workshop proposals. All proposals are
due to the program committee Sept. 1, 2010. Please see the WHA's call for
papers attached below.

Please feel free to forward this email to any possible interested parties.
Mil Gracias,

Juliette Maiorana
2010 Predoctoral Ford Fellow
Ph.D. Student, U.S. History
UC San Diego
jmaioran@ucsd.edu

No comments: